Friday, August 31, 2018

August 2018 Budget

Sorry about the radio silence around here. The new semester just started, so things are kind of hectic right now, and I've been spending a lot of time working on my PhD dissertation. If all goes well, I would like to submit it in October, but there's still a lot of stuff left to do. Because the dissertation is taking up so much of my time and energy, I will be posting less regularly on the blog over the next couple months. I'll get back to a more regular schedule soon. Thanks in advance for understanding!

-----

I didn't realize until I started putting together my budget post that everything I kept this month was striped. In particular, I feel a little crazy that I bought not one, not two, but three striped dresses! I've already worn two of them though. It's still really hot here in my neck of the woods, so I'll probably get plenty of wear out of them well into September.



Madewell striped scoopneck knit dress (neon peony XXS) - I reviewed this dress in a recent post. After wearing it twice, I still like the simple casual silhouette, and I appreciate the lightweight material, which helps keep me cool in the heat. Also, the material seems to wash pretty well, but the dress definitely shrank a bit (mostly in length). Luckily, I thought it was a hair too long before, so that worked out fine. Also, it seems to loosen up with wear, so the fit was mostly back to normal by the end of the day. Originally $69.50. Paid $30.55.

Madewell stripe t-shirt dress (true black XXS, love this colorway too) via Nordstrom - I bought this dress during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, and I've been wearing it nonstop ever since. It's honestly perfect. I love the slim but not clingy fit (runs slightly smaller than most Madewell dresses). It looks great with any shoe (flats, sandals, sneakers) and any layer (denim jacket, army jacket, cardigan). The shirt-tail hem gives it some character and also makes my legs look longer. The only thing I would change is that the hem curls after washing, so I usually have to iron it. Otherwise, this was a great purchase! Originally $78. Paid $56.52.


J.Crew strappy knit midi dress in stripe (ivory navy XS) - Theoretically this is a cover up, but it's thick enough that you can wear it as a casual dress. I would recommend nude underwear or a slip though, because I've noticed other colors seem to show through a little. I haven't worn this out in public yet, but the cut is really cute. It's easy to slip on (no zipper), and the strappy back looks really nice. It does run small, so I sized up. Originally $69.50. Paid $14.80.

J.Crew French cross-back bikini top in classic stripe (vivid flame ivory M) - I've actually had this swimsuit on my wishlist for ages, so I'm glad it finally went on sale. I have another solid red J.Crew bikini, and I'm planning to mix and match the sets. This top runs at least one size small though. I'm a 32C and usually a small in sports bras/bikini tops, but I had to size up to a medium for this one. Originally $52. Paid $13.32.

J.Crew surf hipster bottom in stripe (vivid flame ivory XXS) - I really like the J.Crew surf hipster style, because it offers enough back coverage without being matronly, and it actually seems to stay put in the water (no saggy butt). Fits true to size. Originally $48. Paid $12.58.

RETAIL: $317.00
TOTAL: $127.77 (40.3% of MSRP)

SUMMARY: During Q2, I spent $453.82. I spent $225.53 in July, so after this month, I am left with $542.88 for the rest of the year (an average of $135.72/month).

-----

I also spent a pretty penny this month on skincare and hair products. I've been getting really interested in skincare, especially Asian skincare routines. When I have some spare time, I'd like to write about what I've learned so far and do a detailed review of my haul. For now though, I'm just going to list the products I bought this month.

Skincare
Missha all-around safe block essence sun milk via YesStyle - Paid $17.01.
Biore UV aqua rich watery essence sunscreen (2 pack) - Paid $23.80.
Mizon all-in-one snail repair cream (75mL) via YesStyle - Paid $15.44.
Hada Labo Gokujun hyaluronic lotion - Paid $10.91.
Bioderma Sensibio H2O micellar cleansing water and makeup remover - Paid $13.87.
Etude House eyebrow pencil (grey brown) via YesStyle - Paid $2.84.

Hair
Kirkland Signature moisture shampoo - I bought mine from Costco, but if you're not a Costco member, you can buy it here. Paid $10.88.
Kirkland Signature moisture conditioner - I bought mine from Costco, but if you're not a Costco member, you can buy it here. Paid $8.16.

TOTAL: $119.25


How did you do on your budget this month?

4 comments:

  1. All the dresses are nice and casual, definitely the kind of thing I like wearing in the summer. Too bad about the shrinkage with the first Madewell dress, but at least it's still wearable! Looking at the fabric composition, I guess the shrinkage is probably caused by the viscose. (Viscose can be so unpredictable/fussy in the laundry in my experience, even when it hasn't been machine-dried.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the shrinkage isn't permanent. If I slightly reshape the dress after washing (via light stretching), it goes back to normal. Yes, I think you're right about viscose being the culprit. I usually love the way it feels (so drapey and soft), but I've had some bad laundering experiences (several 100% viscose dresses shrank to the point of being inappropriately short).

      Delete
  2. My dad was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 56.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually thank you @drmosesbuba , cause at first I doubt you because of what others do to take money from the sick cause I have been a victim , but you make me believe that good people still live .  I was cured of Erectile dysfunction with the use of pure natural roots and herbs from a herbal professional maker called Dr Moses Buba, a man of trust and always reliable to his word. You can reach via email buba.herbalmiraclemedicine@gmail.com or WhatsApp him  +2349060529305 . am grateful to share his work so I am forever grateful  @drmosesbuba 

    ReplyDelete