Wednesday, November 26, 2014

November 2014 Purchases

After last month, I had $615.83 left in my budget for November and December. My goal was to try and save most of this money for after-Christmas shopping since that's the best time to score amazing deals. However, I got derailed by the barrage of pre-Black Friday sales from retailers this month. At least I didn't overdo it and tried to make thoughtful purchases.

November 2014 Purchases

For example, I was able to add three new pairs of pants to my wardrobe. I was previously working with only 3 or 4 pairs that I actually liked and wore regularly, so I have to say this was a big improvement. I'm shocked to say that they all came from J.Crew! I've never had any luck with their pants before, especially not their toothpick jeans. Before the rise was too low, the waist was oddly tight, and the area behind the thigh/knee was a hot mess. I decided to give them another try when I heard from several bloggers that J.Crew had improved the fit. Now the rise is slightly higher (which I love!), and the material has more stretch. Even if the toothpicks didn't work for you before, be sure to try them again!

1. J.Crew sateen toothpick pant (dark fatigue 26) - This is my favorite pair of pants out of the three, because the dark olive color is gorgeous and seems to go with everything. I had to size up from my usual 25, because it was too tight in the waist (common problem for me). If you have a small waist, stick with your normal size. Also, the thick sueded fabric is a little stiff at first, but it softens up after being worn for a few minutes. Originally $98. Paid $49.99 + 30% off + 2% off ebates = $34.29.

2. J.Crew toothpick jean in blacksmith wash (blacksmith 24) - This is my first pair of distressed jeans, and I bought them as an experiment. I've always avoided them before, because I was worried about durability despite liking the way they looked. These were lightly torn at the knee when I first got them, and I wasn't sure how quickly they would completely tear over time. I've had these for almost 3 weeks now, worn them a few times, and also machine washed them. The knees have frayed a little more but not as much as I would have expected. If you're interested, now's a good time to pick up a pair. Originally $125. Paid $69.99 + 40% off + 15% student discount = $35.69.

3. J.Crew stretch toothpick jean in miller wash (medium miller wash 24) - These are a little shorter than the black pair, ending slightly below my ankle (I have a 30" inseam). They're super stretchy and run large, so I sized down to 24. They're a little pricey, but it's so hard to find good pants that I'll take what I can get. Originally $125. Paid $89.99 + 40% off + 2% off ebates = $52.91.

4. Gap cable-knit sweater (plum heather XS) - I already own this sweater in ivory and have been wearing it regularly (see it on me here). It's pretty thick and fitted. Not as warm as 100% wool since it's a cotton/wool blend. I don't find it too itchy against my skin, but then again I'm not super sensitive to wool. I'm usually not a fan of burgundy with my skin tone, but I love this color. It has more purple undertones than red, so maybe that's why it works. Originally $59.95. Paid $59.95 + 40% off + 7% off ebates = $33.45.

5. Zara checked scarf - I'm glad blanket scarves are all the rage this season. I mean, how often is a trend functional and comfortable? Anyway I'll get behind any trend that makes wearing a blanket outdoors socially acceptable. I was initially interested in the ubiquitous tan/green/red version, but that color combo wasn't the most flattering on me. I eventually found this beauty at Zara! Well, eventually found is not exactly accurate. More like saw it online, lamented the fact that it was sold out, and then proceeded to stalk it for several weeks. I'm glad I was able to snag it in the end though. It's gigantic and super soft. I rarely pay full price for anything on general principle, but I had to have this. Originally $29.90. Paid $29.90.

6. Amazon sunglasses - These are a great dupe of the Karen Walker Super Duper sunglasses (up to 25% off here). I love the idea of owning designer sunglasses, but I've lost or broken so many pairs that I should probably just stick with the cheapies. Plus I can experiment with more styles. These are nice and sturdy with UV 400 protection. The lenses are huge though, so they may not work on small faces. Originally $30. Paid $5.88.

7. Gap supersoft v-neck tee (pink heather XS) - I just recently discovered the joy of layering a long-sleeve tee under a button-down. It felt like such a duh moment, but it's really revolutionized the way I dress. Since that discovery, I've been looking for more layering tees for winter. This tee isn't as soft as I'd like, but it ran small so the XS was pretty fitted. The light pink color was cheerful, so I decided to keep it. Originally $19.95. Paid $9.97 + 30% off + 7% off ebates = $6.49.

8. Gap suede loafers (pinot noir 6) - I reviewed these here. Great value for genuine suede. The color is amazing. Originally $49.95. Paid $24.99 + 40% off + 4% off ebates = $14.39.

So my total for the month comes to...

RETAIL: $537.75
SPENT: $213.02 (40% of MSRP)

LEFT FOR DECEMBER: $402.81!


---

Right now J.Crew is having a global 30% off sale (which is the best store-wide discount I've ever seen) so I ordered this skirt (reviewed here), these flats, and this tee. I also ordered these loafers and this tweed blazer from J.Crew Factory since everything is 50% off. I anticipate that most of these items won't work out, because I tend to have a very high return rate. I'll account for them in next month's budget since they haven't arrived yet.

Linking up with Franish and the Budgeting Bloggers. I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, and happy shopping!

8 comments:

  1. I love the 30% off entire store time of year. I personally passed on the blanked scarves, but living in the south I don't encounter too much weather that warrants wearing a blanket. I opted for the smaller Target version that I love. All of your items look so pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know blanket scarves aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I love mine. The only thing better than 30% off everything at J.Crew is their after-Christmas sale. Can't wait!

      Delete
  2. Lovely choices! I basically only shopped J.Crew this month. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Nothing wrong with all J.Crew all the time. :) I feel like 80% of my wardrobe comes from them.

      Delete
  3. Love the blanket scarf! I was going to snatch it up when it came back in stock but I didn't have anything else to order to get free shipping. Ah well. I looked through some of your other posts, and we have a pretty similar style/body type (plus I'm also a grad student, but in science!). It's nice to "meet" you! :)

    xo Kimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too, and yay for being a fellow grad student! I think I've seen you on J.Crew Aficionada before, right? I also post there sometimes. I checked out your blog, and yeah we do have similar body shapes! Looking forward to reading your future posts :)

      Delete
  4. Nice scores! I, too, like the fit of the newer toothpicks. I was curious about the sateen version and might need to order a pair. (we have no J Crew here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you have any questions about them. Also, if you like the new toothpicks, you might like Madewell's skinny skinny jeans. They offer a variety of lengths. I usually go for their 29" inseam. The regular length toothpicks are just a hair short for me at ~27-28" even though I have short legs.

      Delete