Thursday, July 12, 2018

Recent Style

Recently I've been trying to document my personal style more, especially when I put together an outfit that makes me feel really good about myself (or one that makes me feel very self-conscious). That way I can look at the pictures later and figure out exactly what worked and didn't work. Today I want to share a few looks that I wore out and about in the past month. They are all good examples of how I dress in my day-to-day life.

This first outfit is composed almost entirely of new pieces I bought in the last couple weeks. The top was an impulse purchase from J.Crew's sale section. I fell in love with the color scheme and thought it looked like something from Madewell. The nutmeg color of the tank pairs well with other earth tones as well as white and black denim, which fits right into my new wardrobe color scheme. The shorts are also new, and they are the only thing I kept from that crazy J.Crew sale a couple weeks ago. They're incredibly stretchy and soft, but they do run large. Also, the sandals are from Fitflop! This is my first pair ever. I feel like Fitflop mostly makes comfort shoes that look comfortable (similar to Birkenstocks, Clarks, etc.), so I was surprised to find this pair that (mostly) looked like regular cork wedge sandals. The platform (really flatform) isn't too high, and the soles are crazy cushy. Of course, I don't think they're for everyone. They still look a little clunky, they're better suited for wider feet, and they're about half a size too large. However, I'm willing to overlook all of these flaws, because they're unbelievably cushy. Imagine, a sandal with actual padding! *gasp* Anyway, I really liked this outfit even though it was very simple. I think the earth tones and gold highlights worked well together, and I was pleased by the matchy-matchiness of my shoes and bag.

Top: J.Crew
Shorts: J.Crew
Bag: Rebecca Minkoff
Shoes: Fitflop (also here)
Necklace: Madewell (old)
Sunglasses: Amazon
Wristband: J.Crew

This second outfit is a little more girly than how I usually dress (sometimes I just want to feel pretty and feminine), but I woke up that day and felt like wearing an all-white ensemble. Initially I paired my white jeans with a white linen button-down, but the look wasn't quite right. I think both pieces were too simple, and for a monotone look, you need different textures to add visual interest and break up the solid blocks of color. So I switched out the linen shirt for this lace top, which seemed to work! The look was pretty dramatic in person (I felt like I was literally glowing), so to keep the focus on my outfit, I wore simple gold/nude/blush accessories. Surprisingly I didn't stain anything all day! (By the way, this marks the official debut of my new bag on the blog! I've been loving it and wearing it everywhere. I like how it looks pretty small on the outside but is really spacious inside with great internal organization.)

Top: Lilly Pulitzer for Target (old)
Bottom: J.Crew
Bag: Sam Edelman (reviewed here)
Sandals: Sam Edelman
Necklace: Madewell (old)
Wristband: J.Crew

This third outfit is what I call my casual-cool look. Out of the four looks I'm sharing today, I think this one most embodies my personality. I just felt very me. The outfit was comfortable, neutral, not too girly, and laid-back. It's also a little less preppy, less feminine, and a little more urban than how I normally dress, which is a direction I'd like to continue moving in. Basically, I want to be that Madewell girl... You know, the one who looks super effortless and cool, while wearing a ton of denim, haha. Also, I'm loving my souvenir necklace from Charleston! I've been wearing it nonstop lately, because I'm really into silver jewelry at the moment and don't own much yet.

Jacket: J.Crew (old, similar)
Top: Treasure & Bond (reviewed here)
Jeans: J.Crew (old, similar)
Shoes: Sam Edelman
Bag: Longchamp
Sunglasses: J.Crew (old)

This last outfit is probably my least favorite out of the bunch, but I still liked it okay. It was just a hair too preppy and nautical with the navy, white, stripes, and gold. All I needed was a captain's hat to top off the look! J and I have been sailing on the weekends, and that probably inspired me to put together this outfit. I think it would have been better if I replaced any one of the elements with something more subtle, so the look wasn't so literal. Oh well, lesson learned. Also, this sweater-blazer has been a lifesaver indoors in terms of shielding me from the freezing cold air conditioning!

Sweater: J.Crew
Top: J.Crew Factory
Jeans: J.Crew
Shoes: Sam Edelman
Bag: Rebecca Minkoff
Necklace: J.Crew

Well that's a wrap! I hope you enjoyed reading about how I put together these outfits and what I've been wearing/loving lately. (Also, isn't it funny how I basically have the same pose in every single picture?)

So which was your favorite outfit, and why?


1 comment: