Sunday, August 17, 2014

J.Crew August Sale Reviews, Part I

I received my J.Crew rewards card in the mail last week and decided to swing by my local store this weekend. I made a beeline for the sale section, which had grown a little larger since my last visit. There were a lot of graphic tees and tanks, none of which really interested me. New sale items of note include the hibiscus floral shorts ($49.99 in-store) and the postage stamp mini in that same print (forgot to check the price tag), both of which are still full-price online. The in-store promotion was 30% off final sale.


I tried on some things at the store that caught my eye and decided to review them. My reviews will use the following scale: love = 5, like = 4, meh = 3, blah = 2, hate = 1. Most of the sale items in-store were the same price as online. The ones that were priced differently I will call out.

For reference, I am 5'4" and my measurements are 32C-26-34. I usually wear 00 and XXS at J.Crew.

Vintage Cotton Tank (Light Pulp XXS)
$19.99 final sale in-store vs $22.50 promo online


I've tried on other vintage cotton tanks before, and the armholes were always too big. Surprisingly this one was fine. I'm not sure if J.Crew fixed their fit from last season or maybe the sizing for these tanks is just inconsistent. I suspect the latter, because I've run into similar sizing issues for the vintage cotton tees that I like. I would recommend trying on this tank in-person before buying. The color is a light, slightly sheer, not-quite-neon yellow that I liked. Ultimately I didn't buy the tank, because I need more basic colors. 

Verdict: Like. Don't buy without trying it on. I'll look for other colors.

Silk Pocket Blouse (Warm Iris 00)


This is a plain serviceable blouse that would be suitable for work. I was initially attracted to the color, a deep hydrangea (not cobalt blue as photographed) that did not disappoint. The silk blend fabric felt slightly thicker than the Blythe that I own, and the overall cut was slim. However, the torso and sleeves were too long, which is good news for ladies who are 5'5" and up. Perhaps this would look better on me if I got a 00P or maybe 000.

Verdict: Meh. Could be ok for taller ladies. I wouldn't buy this on final sale.

$34.99 in-store vs $49.99 online


This top was already reviewed by Gigi, but I wanted to add my two cents.

I liked the cheery yellow color and soft cotton fabric of this top, but that's all I liked. It runs very large and is also voluminous, adding unnecessary visual weight to my frame. The side view is especially atrocious; the top looks like it belongs in maternity wear. Also, the straps felt like two cheap strings. J.Crew should have added adjustable straps so ladies can control how high or low the top sits.

Verdict: Blah. My advice is to size down. Personally I'll pass.

I am still working on Part II of my review, so please stay tuned.

Did you pick up anything from this sale?

No comments:

Post a Comment