Friday, September 12, 2014

New Semester

Oops I haven't written a blog post in a while. Over the past two weeks, I outlined a few post ideas but couldn't get around to fleshing them out, because life kept getting in the way. Let's just say that things have been hectic around here now that the fall semester is in full swing. Theoretically the start of a new semester shouldn't impact my workload too much, because I finally finished my PhD coursework requirements. In reality though, there are more research meetings to attend, project deliverables to complete, and paper deadlines to manage than during the summer. At least I no longer have to take classes on top of all that.

I've barely had time to catch up on my blog reading, let alone shop in-store. I did place a few orders online though. First up, this ivory cable-knit sweater from Gap that I mentioned in my last post. I wrote a mini review of it on Instagram. At first glance it reminds me of the J.Crew Aran Crafts cable sweater from last year sans turtleneck. The material, composed of 40% cotton, 35% polyester, and 25% wool, is thick, structured, and seems like it won't be prone to pilling. Don't expect this sweater to feel as cozy as 100% wool though; it is distinctly a cotton blend. Winter weight in mild climates and can be layered for colder weather.


The fit is slim and shrunken with slightly long sleeves. Personally I took an XS, and it fits like a J.Crew Tippi in XXS. In general, Gap XS is too large for me, so my recommendation would be to size up from your usual Gap size. Overall I love the color and cable-knit pattern on the torso. One word of caution though: note how high up the ribbing comes from the hem (around my belly button), which may be an issue for some body shapes.

Other purchases:
 I recently bought these coral leather pointy-toe flats from Target in size 6. I usually wear between 5.5 and 6 but most often take the 6. I would recommend that you get these in your normal size unless you're in between sizes, in which case go with the larger size. I like the bright pop of color, and the pointy toe shape didn't squish my feet. The quality seems fair for the low price. I envision getting plenty of wear from them for a few seasons. UPDATE 09/21: I ended up returning these, because my heel rubbed a little after I wore them around the house for 10 minutes.

I have been on the hunt for a plain white tee that isn't sheer. Some time ago I tried the Everlane v-neck that is beloved by so many bloggers, but their sizing chart recommended the wrong size for me. Furthermore, the material was still a little too thin for my liking, although it was quite soft. Enter the Banana Republic timeless v-neck tee in white. It is the single most opaque white tee I have ever tried on. The 100% cotton fabric is thick and substantial. However, it does run quite small. My usual BR size of XS Petite fits exactly with little room to spare. I am considering exchanging it for a size up to get that more casual fit and to account for possible future shrinkage.

Anyway, that's it for now. Hope you enjoyed these reviews. If you have any other recommendations for t-shirts, please let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment