Tuesday, May 1, 2018

April 2018 Budget

Sale alert: J.Crew is offering an additional 50% off sale items now through 05/02/2018 with code HOORAY. If you placed a recent order with them, you may have also gotten an extra 15% off coupon. My sale picks: this pretty lace top, these classic pajamas that rarely go on sale, and my favorite striped top that I wear all the time (true to size, opaque). FYI sizes are selling out quickly!

-----

I noticed recently that I've drifted back into my old bad habit of shopping when I am stressed or bored. I had almost gotten a handle on this problem back in 2016 when I was participating in Franish's Budgeting Bloggers series, because I was holding myself publicly accountable at the time. I would like to get my overall spending under control again, and I miss writing those monthly budget posts, so I'm bringing the series back to my blog.

Overall this month was pretty stressful, so I ordered a lot but ended up returning most of it. I still kept a few items that I wanted but definitely didn't need

CLOTHING

7 For All Mankind The Skinny Jean (Santiago Canyon 24) - I haven't bought new jeans in a long time, so the ones that I wear regularly are starting to look very worn. I love designer denim, because they tend to hold their shape better than regular jeans over the course of the day. I wanted to try out 7 For All Mankind, because I've only ever owned one pair of jeans from them, and those were thrifted so long ago that I feel like they don't count. These jeans are reasonably substantial, but they run large (even after I sized down), and I think they're too long. I kind of wish I hadn't cut off the tags right away, because they're expensive even on sale. Hopefully I'll get enough wears out of them despite the problems. Originally $159. Paid $77.31.

J.Crew pretzel t-shirt (heather granite XS) - I actually do need some new t-shirts, and I thought this one was cute. Some of the pretzel salt is actually rhinestones. I had to size up, but the tee is completely opaque and fits well. I hope J.Crew makes more tees out of this substantial material instead of the thin cotton they usually use. Originally $39.50. Paid $11.27.

Jacket: Madewell (old)
Top: J.Crew (exact)
Jeans: Lucky Brand (old)
Shoes: Cole Haan (exact)




J.Crew henley t-shirt (dark flannel S) - This was definitely an impulse purchase. I think I've been seduced by the low sale prices at J.Crew lately. Anyway, I like the color of this henley, and it's very functional. I went up two sizes though, because it runs small, and I was worried about shrinkage. (It did shrink a little in the dryer, but I probably could have gone up just one size.) This color isn't sheer, but a lighter one would be. Originally $39.50. Paid $7.51.

J.Crew love first t-shirt (heather grey XS) - This tee drapes nicely (i.e. doesn't cling to my stomach and make me feel self-conscious) plus it's opaque. I think it looks very casual, because of the color as well as the graphic, but that's fine for my grad student lifestyle. I am slightly disappointed that it's not 100% cotton as stated online. It's actually a cotton/poly blend. Originally $34.50. Paid $10.52.

J.Crew two-tone bar necklace (rose gold) - I didn't really need this. In fact, it feels pretty lightweight and thus a little cheap. I do like its simple design and how it incorporates multiple metal tones. Originally $29.50. Paid $12.02.

J.Crew demi-fine 14K gold-plated wheel charm (gold) - I also didn't need this. I was intrigued by the new line of J.Crew demi-fine jewelry and wanted to check out the quality. I really like the concept of this nautical-themed charm, especially since my boyfriend J is a sailor, but the pendant is smaller/flatter than I thought it would be, and it's very yellow for 14k gold. Originally $49.50. Paid $10.36.




Charleston Gate Jewelry sterling silver necklace - I love this necklace! I bought it on a whim at the Charleston City Market as a souvenir, and I've already worn it a bunch of times. It's inspired by the architecture of the Charleston City Hall (pictured below). Personally I love architecture, and I like how this is a cool unique way to remember my trip. Originally $30. Paid $30.




RETAIL: $381.50
SPENT: $158.99 (41.7% MSRP)


BEAUTY

Sephora Collection far & away silicone travel tube (2 oz) - I originally wanted to buy the travel set I blogged about here, but it was sold out, so I ended up buying two tubes individually. I haven't used them yet, but hopefully they hold up. Check out Feather Factor's review. Originally $8. Paid $7.72.

Sephora Collection far & away silicone travel tube (1.25 oz) - See above. Originally $6. Paid $5.79.

Kat Von D tattoo liner (trooper) - Check out my original review here. My old one was getting dried out, so I decided to rebuy. Originally $20. Paid $19.31.

Laura Mercier caviar stick eye colour (khaki) - This was totally an impulse purchase after reading Extra Petite's recent post. I haven't used it yet but will report back when I do. See how the color looks on her. Originally $29. Paid $28.00.

RETAIL: $63.00
SPENT: $60.82 (96.5% of MSRP)


GRAND TOTAL: $219.81


What did you pick up this month? What were your favorite purchases?

No comments:

Post a Comment